New Community is going to Virginia Dare Apartments in Elizabeth City to host a Game Night! On Friday, March 8th, we will be welcoming the residents from the apartments to enjoy a night of fun, food and friendship with us. If you would like to help serve the men and women living here, we’d love to have you with us! There are a few different ways to be involved in this FIVE.16 whether you’re playing games with those who attend, providing a finger food for them to enjoy or helping with set-up, this is a great blessing to our neighbors often overlooked in our community. Please let us know if you’d like to join us by stopping by the Information Center this Sunday!
One of the most exciting things we do at NCC happens on Christmas Eve! Every year, we collect our “Giving It All Away” offering to fund our outreach ministry called “Five.16”. Matthew 5:16 says, “…Let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.” Matthew 5:16 is about putting our faith into practice so others may see the love of God, that is why we call our outreach “Five.16”. It is our sincere hope that 2019 expands our outreach by helping many people with spiritual, physical and emotional needs.
Here is 2019’s Five.16 plan:
- USCG “A-School” Students Dinner
- There are many young Coast Guard men and women stationed here in Elizabeth City for training, drawing them away from home for extended periods of time. We have the opportunity to show hospitality by serving a meal to each “A-School” student during a church-wide event next year!
- This August, we’re welcoming new ECSU Students back to school
- Many students at ECSU have significant financial need. These needs place an added strain on practical essentials, such as hygiene and back to school items.
- We’re working with ECSU to discover the best ways to alleviate some of these needs.
- We’re making a one-time donation to Maritime Ministries of $500.
- This ministry is based out of MACU and spearheaded by Dan Smith, Interim Vice President of Institutional Advancement.
- Maritime Ministries is an evangelistic outreach using sailing to build relationships and have conversations about faith.
- We have a year-long plan to serve the residents of Virginia Dare apartments in Elizabeth City.
- All residents at Virginia Dare Apts are elderly with significant financial need.
- NCC will coordinate groups of people to serve and minister to them in a variety of ways throughout the year.
- Elizabeth City Christmas Dinner Packages
- This project entails packing and distributing Christmas dinner packages to some of Elizabeth City’s citizens without resources for enough healthy food.
- We’re sponsoring five Cuban Pastors’ work again this year.
- The church is growing in Cuba!
- We hope to continue sponsoring Cuban pastors and their thriving ministries there.
- On a side note, two of our elders will travel to Cuba in March to see the work God is doing there first hand.
- Additional funds are used for disaster relief and other practical needs within our church family as needed.
100% of this offering is given away! We hope you will prayerfully consider how to support this offering. Donations can be made during one of the Christmas Eve services, by texting the dollar amount to 84321 with the keyword GIAA and selecting New Community Church if prompted, or online HERE.
To find out more about our Christmas Eve services, you can go HERE.
Check out this opportunity to serve others in their time of need. All donations that are dropped off at New Community will be doubled by the church and delivered by our pastors to Belhaven. Stay tuned for more info!
Here we go, Church! It’s our next opportunity to love our community together!
Thanks to your generosity this past Christmas via our Giving-It-All-Away offering, we’re serving our U.S. Coast Guard A-School Students in Elizabeth City again! We want everyone involved in this awesome event, showing encouragement, love and support to students God led here. You can sign-up below or stop by our Information Center on Sunday morning. Here are details on ways you can serve!
Thursday, May 17th, we’ll need people to serve at the Hangar 7 building located on the Elizabeth City base. The following are time slots and needs to cover: 4-5pm set-up, 5-6pm serve dinner, 6-7pm serve dinner and 7-7:30pm clean-up. During the 5pm and 6pm shifts, we hope for as many NCC people as possible to visit with the students, sharing kindness and encouragement during an often-difficult season in their lives.
If you are unable to serve on base, or are interested in a different way to be involved, we have that too! We need: 8 people to make crockpot macaroni and cheese, 4 people to prepare green beans, and a crew to prepare individual dessert items. Our Giving-It-All-Away fund will provide all ingredients needed, so no worries on cost to you! We are looking for people to help us provide a “home-cooked” meal for those away from their homes and loved ones during school.
Please let us know how YOU want to serve with us, reflecting the love of Christ to awesome men and women in our community!
Thanks to your generosity, New Community Church will be serving the staff at Pasquotank Correctional Institution (PCI) this March. Our Giving It All Away offering, collected at Christmastime, is funding our church to say “Thank You” to those who keep our community safe. We want the prison staff to know they are appreciated on a regular basis.
Ways you can get involved:
- Grab a few “Thank You” notes from our Information Center. Share some words of encouragement and gratitude. Return the cards to NCC’s Information Center by Sunday, March 11th.
- Like to bake? Awesome! We need individual packages of baked goods (cookies & brownies without peanuts) for our Thank You packages. Please drop-off at NCC by Monday, March 12th.
- Join us for a packing party from 6:30-7:30pm Monday, March 12th, to assemble packages for PCI staff.
- Help deliver packages to the prison on Tue, March 13th or Fri, March 16th. Times to be announced.
We are looking forward to seeing our church serve and love our local heroes. Thanks for all the ways you continue to become a Compelling Presence for Christ in our community.
We’re bringing a home-cooked dinner to the A-School!
Thursday, August 24th, New Community Church will be participating in our next whole-church five.16, serving our local U.S Coast Guard A-School students dinner. That evening, we’ll have time to meet approximately 200 students, encouraging them while here in Elizabeth City.
All the food and supplies will be purchased with money collected from last Christmas Eve’s Giving-It-All-Away offering. In order to make this a great night, we’ll need people to help set-up, prepare foods, serve dinner, clean-up and visit with our Coastie students. Please sign-up at the Information Center on Sunday morning to join us. We’ll need your identification information ahead of time to be permitted on the base.
When: Thursday, August 24th, teams scheduled from 4-8pm
Where: Hangar 7 Building located on U.S. Coast Guard Base, Elizabeth City